A roundtable in honour of the work and contributions of Professor Barry K. Gills will be organized following his keynote lecture on “Reflections on (a) Life in Development” on 15 February 2024, from 09:30 to 11:30, at the Development Days 2024 conference. The roundtable is co-chaired by Professor Franklin Obeng-Odoom (University of Helsinki) and Senior Lecturer Bonn Juego (University of Jyväskylä).
The panelists and contributors to the roundtable are:
- Walden Bello, recipient of the ISA’s IPE Outstanding Public Scholar Award 2008 and laureate of the Right Livelihood Award 2003
- Kevin Gray, professor of international relations at Sussex University and co-editor of the Globalizations journal
- S. A. Hamed Hosseini, lead author of Capital Redefined and elected fellow of the World Academy of Art and Science
- Don Marshall, professor of international political economy and development studies, The University of the West Indies, Cavehill Campus, Barbados
- Jamie Morgan, professor of economics, Leeds Beckett University and co-editor of Real-World Economics Review
- Anja Nygren, professor of global development studies, University of Helsinki
- Antti Tarvainen, doctoral researcher, University of Helsinki.
Barry K. Gills has served as the Professor of Global Development Studies at the University of Helsinki for over a decade and will soon begin to enjoy his well-deserved retirement years. Before coming to Helsinki, Gills has worked as the Professor of Global Politics in the School of Geography, Politics and Sociology at Newcastle University, UK, and as the Director of the Globalization Research Center at the University of Hawaii, USA. He earned his doctorate from the London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE). A recipient of the International Studies Association’s James N. Rosenau Award in 2019, he has written widely in the fields of low-intensity democracy, world-systems theory, international political economy, the political economy of development, the politics of resistance, globalization, alternative economics, and the climate emergency. He is the Editor-in-Chief of the academic journal Globalizations, and a founding member of EXALT – the Global Extractivisms and Alternatives Initiative.
Remember to register for the Development Days 2024 hybrid conference by 6 February 2024.