Kehitystutkimuksen seura on järjestänyt vuosittaisen kehitystutkimuksen gradupalkinnon yhdessä UniPID:n kanssa vuodesta 2012. Lisätietoa englanniksi UniPID:in sivuilta ja alta.
Master’s thesis award
Finnish University Partnership for International Development – UniPID and the Finnish Society for Development Research (FSDR) jointly seek exceptional Master’s level theses from UniPID universities to be awarded.
The Master’s Award in Development Studies 2018 will be presented in conjunction with FSDR’s Development Day Seminar 2019. The prize sum is 1,000 euros. There will also be two honorable mentions for exceptionally meriting works.
The Master’s Award in Development Studies selection criteria are the following:
- The thesis has been approved during the period 1.8.2017-31.7.2018 at a UniPID member university, as a master’s level thesis included in a degree. The language of the thesis is Finnish, Swedish, or English
- The grade is at least magna cum laude or higher; or at least 4 if the work has been graded on a scale of 1-5
- This is a multidisciplinary competition and the disciplines are not limited in advance. The work should however employ one of the following development research frameworks: development studies, developing country research, international development, or the Global South research.
In unclear cases, the appointed Master’s Award Working Group will decide whether the work fulfills the above conditions.
The final review of the work will take into account the following qualities:
Whether the thesis
- produces new knowledge or approaches old knowledge in a new and innovative way
- includes results with societal significance; and/or
- forms an organized and coherent whole.
All submissions should be sent in electronic format (PDF) to the Secretary of the Master’s Award Working Group Osku Haapasaari by 31 August 2018 at 16.00 at the latest. The thesis and other necessary documents should be sent either via email as attachments. The work can be sent either by the Supervisor, ensuring the consent of the author, or by the author.
The submitted theses should be accompanied by the following information:
- personal contact information of the author (home address, email and phone number)
- transcript of records and/or examiner’s statement indicating the university, department, supervisor(s), the grade the work received, and the official date of approval
- a summary of the work (max 1 page)
- reasons for participating in the competition (max 1 page)
The submitted materials will not be returned.
All submissions should be sent to:
Edellisten vuosien voittajat ja kunniamaininnan saaneet:
2017 Antti Tarvainen (2017) “I, Post-Palestinian Entrepreneur” Transformations of subalternity in the ”start-up nation” of Israel.
• Kunniamaininta: Veera Virmasalo (2017) Inspiring elite action for a more just society? Media framing of elite social responsibility in an unequal, unconsolidated democracy. A case study from Namibia.
• Kunniamaininta: Jymy Parhiala (2017) The applicability of the MinimumViable Product approach in hardware product development in a developing country context – concept validation process for a startup.
2016 Marinka Räsänen (2015) Political economy and ecology of water control dynamics of water policy reform and water justice in Taita Hills, South-Eastern Kenya. >> Lue lisää
• Kunniamaininta: Yên Mai (2016) Constructing the Vietnamese queer identities: A hierarchy of class, gender and sexuality.
• Kunniamaininta: Jenni Puroila (2016) What really matters? Materiality disclosures in sustainability reporting practices.
2015 Tomi Lounio (2014) Population Dynamics and Livelihood Change on Ukara Island, Lake Victoria.
• Kunniamaininta: Noora Stenholm (2015) Gendered perspectives on rehabilitation after involuntary resettlement in urban Sri Lanka.
• Kunniamaininta: Paula Pankakoski (2015) Place and Belonging – an Ethnography of Rural Migrant Children in Beijing.
2014 Henry Salas Lazo (2013) Local Voices and Perspectives: A Study on the Contextualisation of Women’s Empowerment in Lima, Peru.
• Kunniamaininta: Kukka Ranta (2013) Ryöstetty meri – Euroopan unionin kalastussopimusten vaikutuksent Senegalin pienkalastajien ruokaturvaan ja elinkeinoon.
• Kunniamaininta: Lauri Heino (2014) The Idea of Conditional Cash Transfers.
2013 Reetta Korhonen (2013) Oman arvo: Etelä-Meksikon Oaxacan osavaltion yhteisöradiot intiaaniuden uudelleenmuokkaamisen tiloina.
• Kunniamaininta: Hilkka Jokinen (2013) Regaining agency? An Ethnographic Case Study of Women’s Associative Practices in Luapula, Zambia.
• Kunniamaininta: Laura Kangas (2013) The WTO and ambiguous language of development. A rhetorical analysis of the development discourse of the World Trade Organization.
2012 Laura Ansala (2012) Motives, channels and migration for remittances: Evidence from Uganda, Senegal and Nigeria.
• Kunniamaininta: Johanna Turunen (2012) In the Face of Violence: Identity, Justification and the Individual in Rwanda.
• Kunniamaininta: Eeva Ruuska (2012) The Significance and Sustainability of Charcoal Production in the Changing Landscape of Dakatcha Woodland, SE Kenya.